“So this is it, our Caribbean season? :-)”
We are sitting in a bar in Belize on the 17th of March 2020 and wonder how things evolved. By this time we were supposed to be in Mexico heading towards Cuba and Miami.
This is what traveller’s life is about. Living the life, expecting the unexpected and adjusting to it. Every day is different and the fact that things do not go as planned is pretty much normal. We have to look at things positively and take the best out of every situation.
It’s not the end of the world!
If we do not sail across the Caribbean this year, we will do it some other time. It is so simple. Sometimes we tend to rush and run for things but hey, we have time, we are healthy, we can afford it, we have each other, what is stopping us? We have just started to travel together and were excited to have a goal for this season, obviously. You know that excitement when something is new and you get all these ideas of what you can do and start imagining how cool it will be?
It is new for both of us. For me (Gabi) the whole sailing experience and seeing new places. “What will it be like?” For Dan doing it as a couple, showing me around and sharing everything he explored and fell in love with.
Sailing in the Caribbean, why stay in Belize?
- There are hundreds of cayes to be explored. We have had a chance to see a few of them and the interesting fact is that every single one of them was so different. You have Ranguana with a nice beach and fishermen cleaning fish attracting nurse sharks, what a snorkel experience. Then there is the perfect romantic King Lewey’s island ideal for a honeymoon. A mangrove island with walkways winding throughout the property, that is Hideaway caye.
- It has the second biggest barrier reef in the world, let’s dive in! Well in our case it’s more like snorkel but still 😀
- The inland offers national parks with hikes, waterfalls and blue holes. Belize is not just about the sea. So far we have been to Cockscomb, our favorite part was the plane wreck 🙂
- Mayan ruins and villages. Now it sounds like I am selling Belize but this is all true 😀
- Mennonites trekking down the country roads in horse and buggies. Several sections of tropical jungle have been turned into productive farmland and you feel like being in another world.
- There is enough food and supplies we need. I have to be honest. As a girl I am used to using my favorites brands of products and was hoping to travel home in May to stock up. I freaked out when we got the quarantine news but let’s look at it holistically. If there are products that I need that is all that matters.
- There are no reported cases of the virus so far.
- They speak English in Belize which makes our life much easier.
“Look at things positively!” What do we see?
- We get to stay in a beautiful country and finally have enough time to explore it
- We can stop and concentrate on us for a while
- We have time to learn new things
- The deadline of tax return has been postponed 😀
What about the plan for the next few months?
We have made a checklist of essentials we need in order to last on our sailboat for a month, we stocked up and are now concentrating on our projects. We have decided to share our list for inspiration, see below.
List of essentials
- Drinking Water: 60 liters
- Full tank of water: 600 liters
- Water purification cubes: 1 package
Propane: 2 spare 40-litre canisters
Internet: Buy wifi for 30 days
Power/electricity: Solar panels
Lighter: 1 spare
Extra batteries: 1 package
- Fried beans: 10 cans
- Sweet corn: 15 cans
- Coconut milk: 4 cans
- Baked beans: 4 cans
- Meat: 4 cans (we like chilli)
- Veggie mix: 8 cans
- Tuna: 8 cans
- Tomato sauce: 8 cans
- Rice: 2kg
- Lentils, chickpeas, beans and peas: 500g each
- Dried fruits (raisins and dates for us): 500g
- Mixed nuts: 500g
- Bananas (in the fridge): 12
- Fruit juice: 4 catrons
- Potatoes: 2kg
- Sweet potatoes: 4 large ones
- Garlic: 9
- Onions: 4
- Tomatoes: 2kg
- Meat: 2kg
- Smoothie packs: 4
- Eggs: 1 large tray
- Tofu: 4
- Oil: 1
- Soy sauce: 1
- Mayo: 1
- Nachos: 1 large bag
- Cereals: 1 large packet of cornflakes
- Coffee: 1kg
- Milk: 4 cartons
- Bouillon cubes: 4
- Sealed dried meat (salami or bacon): 4
- Dark chocolate: 1 large
- Peanut butter: 1kg
- Feminine supplies
- Toilet paper: 10 rolls
- Washing liquid
- SPF cream (for us)
- Hand sanitizer
- Disinfectant spray
- Mosquito spray
- Multivitamins (we use Beta carotene, magnesium or multivitamins)
- Face masks: 4
- First aid kit
Be nice to each other
How did the corona virus affect you, have you had to change your plans and what did it make you realize? We would love to hear your comments, see your list or read your quarantine story.